I wanted to give everyone an update on one my 2015 DIY projects–making over my upstairs boys’ bathroom. Remember this lovely floral wallpaper? Well, it must be straight from the pit of, well . . . you know.
All three of the bathrooms in our house had wallpaper when we moved in. Removing the wallpaper from the first two bathrooms was super easy, it pulled right off in long sheets. But this one? Ughh. It has been holding on with everything it has.
Now, I appreciate all of you right now who are wanting to comment with some helpful wallpaper removal tips, but trust me, I’ve tried them all. And I’m not a novice wallpaper remover–my husband and I took wallpaper off of basically every room in our first house! This stuff is just bad though, really, really, bad. It keeps pulling off the top layer of the drywall with it, which means lots of patch jobs before I can paint. Just look at how it’s mocking me! I’ve been working on this on and off for 3 weeks now. Earlier this week I finally got about 95% of the paper off the walls in the vanity area, and was able to patch the ripped drywall spots and sand. The walls still need a little bit more prep before I can start to paint, but I’m getting close 🙂
So if you don’t remember, here is my inspiration photo for the look I’m going for:
I’ve already purchased several other renovation items that will work well for this look. I found a nice light fixture on clearance at Home Depot as well as an inexpensive faucet. I’m excited about the one-handle faucet for my boys–they just aren’t able to get the hot and cold water mixed right on the two-handled faucets. Do anybody else’s kids have that problem?
My plan for the vanity base is to mix up a custom dark navy using my Fusion Mineral Paint (probably some Liberty Blue with a little Coal Black added) and use that to refinish the vanity. I am really looking forward to trying out the Fusion on cabinets, I have read great reviews about it.
I also bought a new vanity top from Home Depot. Nothing fancy, just a solid white top with a built in sink. We don’t need anything especially glitzy in that bathroom, and this was a simple, cost-effective option. Anything will look better than the faux ivory marble with shell sink that is in there now!
So, that’s where I’m at. I have company coming in town the end of March, and I’m hoping to have the bathroom mostly finished by then. It may take me longer to put the finishing decorative touches on the space, but I’m hoping to at least have it functional.
Best wishes to you for all of your DIY projects!